Responsible to: George Varney – Operations Manager
Line Manager: George Varney – Operations Manageror in his absence Noah Humphries
Job Overview: To drive one of our vehicles on behalf of The Useful Wood Company to collect wood from various construction sites within a 30-mile radius of our Woking base, and return wood collected to our base. To take wood to various disposal sites within the area and undertake deliveries of finished products from the workshop to customers. The role is full time, with flexible hours and flexible working is required as this role also involves work in the yard, workshop and at times in our retail facility.
The Van Driver will need to be able to undertake the following tasks:
- Liaising with customers to ensure that all collections are made on time, or if not that the customer is advised accordingly at the earliest opportunity. Excellent customer relationships and service are pre-requisites.
- At times agreeing the price of the load with customers on site.
- Planning routes.
- To provide the necessary support to a volunteer who may accompany you from time to time.
- Checking vehicle regularly for roadworthiness and obvious safety defects and taking the appropriate action.
- Loading goods and timber onto and off the van.
- Keeping records of deliveries.
- Obtaining signed receipts from goods delivered and received.
Skills & Requirements
- A willingness to work with people from a variety of backgrounds, and provide the necessary support that will be required at times.
- Being punctual.
- Have the appropriate DBS clearance.
- Having excellent and considerate driving skills.
- Being reliable and trustworthy.
- Having good concentration.
- Having good interpersonal abilities.
- Having knowledge about routes and geography.
- Being able to work under pressure.
- Having awareness of safety procedures for goods´ loading and unloading processes.
- Hold a current CSCS card (training will be provided if necessary)
- Being able to meet deadlines.
- Having good communication skills.
For insurance purposes the Van Driver must be over 25 years old and have a clean UK driving licence, including a good driving record.
Because of the flexible nature of the role from time to time the Van Driver will be required to:
- Work in the Yard, to tidy, place, deconstruct and stack timber as required.
- Work in the shop, to serve customers and support team members
- Work in the workshop as required.
All of the above will under the direction and instructions from the Operations Manager or the Retail & Workshop Manager.